Chainsaws are handy wood cutting tools. It is even scary to think of how logging was done with axes before chainsaws were invented. Having the best chainsaw will save your time and energy in your wood cutting or logging endeavors. Chainsaw technology has seen tremendous improvement over the years, just like anything else out there. Today, we have some of the most revolutionary and efficient chainsaws ever developed. Having one of these in your hands will make your logging experience like no other.
There are many types of chainsaws available. Shopping for the best chains might end up feeling like a tough task if you don’t know the technical aspects of chainsaws. There are not many chainsaw reviews available either. You might be wondering, who makes the best chainsaw in the world? Wonder no more! Our team of experts went and explored various types of chainsaws, to find out how they compare against each other. They came up with a line-up of some of the best chainsaws on the market.
This review expounds more on the chainsaws in the line-up. The review aims at arming you with relevant information to help you make an informed choice next time you go looking for one. The review will explore the respective features of the chainsaws as well as their pros and cons. Finding the best chainsaw should no longer be such a daunting task. Tag along and let’s get you the best chainsaw for your next logging task. First, below is a comparison table of the various chainsaws featured in the review.
Best Chainsaw 2020 (2020 New Chainsaws Additions)
|Pic||Name||Bar Length||Weight||Corded/ Cordless||Price|
|OREGON CS250-S6 Chainsaw||14’’||9.3 lbs.||Cordless||Check Price|
|Greenworks 20312 Chainsaw||16’’||10.36 lbs.||Cordless||Check Price|
|Ego Power Chainsaw||14’’||11.4 lbs.||-||Check Price|
|MAKITA UC4051A Chainsaw||16’’||15.7lbs||Corded||Check Price|
|Greenworks 20222 Chainsaw||14’’||8 lbs.||-||Check Price|
|WORX WG303.1 Chainsaw||16’’||11lbs||Corded||Check Price|
|BLACK DECKER LCS-1240 Chainsaw||12’’||10.4lbs||Cordless||Check Price|
|Makita XCUOZZ Chainsaw||12’’||10.1lbs||Cordless||Check Price|
|Husqvarna 450 Chainsaw||18’’||11.3lbs||Cordless||Check Price|
|Husqvarna 460 Chainsaw||20’’||12.79 lbs.||Cordless||Check Price|
|Black Decker LCS1020 Chainsaw||10’’||7.2 lbs.||Cordless||Check Price|
|Husqvarna 240 Chainsaw||16’’||13.3 lbs.||Cordless||Check Price|
|Remington RM1425 Chainsaw||14’’||6.25 lbs.||Corded||Check Price|
The Oregon CS250-S6 is a fantastic chainsaw that comes with high tech features. The chainsaw has moderate power, but its user convenience helps it to stand out. The chainsaw is very portable since it is cordless. Your maneuverability while cutting wood is therefore unlimited. It chainsaw packs a 1.25Ah battery under the hood, that ensures it runs for a considerable duration. The chainsaw’s deliverables are good enough, and you will most likely not experience any downside to it.
- The chainsaw comes with a 14-inch bar
- It weighs 9.3 pounds
- The chainsaw runs for 60 minutes in one charge
- It has an automated oiling system
- It comes with an inbuilt sharpening system
- It is fitted with a rechargeable 1.25Ah standard battery
- The chainsaw is cordless and lightweight hence very portable
- It has no warm-period. You can start cutting immediately.
- The automated features make it very convenient and hassle-free
- It has an anti-kickback feature, which enhances the safety of the user.
- The chainsaw cannot handle heavy-duty situations. Its power is on the lower level as compared to other chainsaws available.
- You need to keep recharging the battery after every hour or so. It could be a nuisance if you have a lot of work.
If you are looking for a chainsaw for light home cutting works, the Oregon CS250-S6 will work amazing for you. The performance of the chainsaw cannot be called into question, so long as it is not pushed beyond its limits. It has fantastic reviews on Amazon, though some people feel the run time is a bit low. That would depend on your specific requirements though. The chainsaw has excellent convenience levels as a number of its functions are automated. It is an attractive option if your needs fit the description above.
The Greenworks 20312 chainsaw is yet another fantastic battery powered chainsaw. It is fitted with a 4.0Ah Lithium Ion battery. The chainsaw delivers impressive performance for a battery powered chainsaw. The chainsaw has some of the best features you will find on a battery powered chainsaw. It comes with a 16’’ bar, that powers through long cuts with fantastic ease.
- The chainsaw runs for 120 minutes on a single charge
- It weighs 10.36 pounds
- It runs on a 4.0Ah rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- It is fitted with a brushless motor
- The chainsaw has a powerful motor. It delivers a more powerful performance.
- It has less Noise and vibrations
- It has an electronic chain braking system and an anti-kickback feature which enhance safety
- It is cordless and lightweight hence very portable
- The lithium-Ion battery lasts longer
- There are numerous concerns about oil leakages on the chainsaw.
- You have to keep charging the chainsaw now and then.
The Greenworks 20312 seems to be a great chainsaw. It manages to maintain the convenience that comes with being cordless and still delivers impressive power. It can comfortably handle relatively tough applications. It may not be the most powerful, but it will undoubtedly do the trick. A quick skim through its features reveal a chainsaw that will power through your light home applications with fantastic ease and convenience. This is arguably the best chainsaw under 200.
The Ego Power chainsaw is yet another chainsaw whose appearance on the review is banked on convenience. It is a cordless battery powered chainsaw. The chainsaw combines a 2.5Ah lithium ion battery, a powerful brushless motor, and a 14-bar to deliver an effective and efficient performance. The features of the chain will undoubtedly impress you if you are looking for a chainsaw for light-duty applications.
- The chainsaw has a water-resistant construction
- It weighs 11.4 pounds
- The bar is reverse drive enabled
- The chainsaw has low-kickback
- It has a kickback brake and tension adjustment
- It delivers a speed of 6800 RPM
- The chainsaw has impressive power and speed.
- The battery lasts longer
- It is lightweight and cordless hence portable
- The water-resistant construction protects it from water damage
- The chainsaw has ample user protection against Kickback
- Typical of all battery-powered chainsaws, you have to keep charging after every few hours of use.
- There are numerous complaints from customers about the chain coming off regularly
The Ego Power chainsaw seems like an effective chainsaw, especially for home use. You could still use it in heavy-duty applications, but there are better options for such situations. The chainsaw has impressive power and is great convenient. These aspects are arguably the two most basic requirements on a chainsaw. The chainsaw has lived up to the expectations of many buyers if the reviews on Amazon are anything to go by.
We have reviewed a string of battery powered chainsaws with moderate power. The limited power may not be what you are looking for. The Makita UC4051A comes in to take care of such concerns. It is an electric chainsaw with a 16’’ bar, that has tremendous power. This top-rated chainsaw is great for professional and heavy-duty applications. It could arguably be the best electric chainsaw we have in the review.
- The chainsaw has an inbuilt current limiter
- It has a large oil reservoir
- The chainsaw weighs 15.7 pounds
- It has tool-less tension adjustment
- It has an electric chain braking and automated sharpening systems
- The chainsaw is very powerful
- It has an anti-kickback feature that enhances user safety
- It has zero-emissions
- The current limiter prevents overload on the motor
- The chainsaw comes with a rubberized ergonomic handle for a comfortable and firm grip
- The chainsaw is rather heavy.
- Your maneuverability is limited since the chainsaw is corded
The Makita UC4051A does not seem to disappoint as features of a good chainsaw are concerned. It has incredible deliverables. You may not have much freedom of movement while working, but you will certainly work more efficiently and effectively. The chainsaw will easily power through those huge logs of wood. It is, without doubt, a top of the range chainsaw that should not miss on your list of options, if you are involved in professional logging. It is the best professional chainsaw that we have in the review. It has impressive ratings in many electric chainsaw reviews. It is the best chainsaw under 300.
The Greenworks 20222 is an incredible chainsaw. The chains saw delivers both power and convenience in one package. That’s very rare as far as chainsaws are concerned. It has an electric motor and a 14’’ bar. Before you complain of the bar being too small, you will be impressed to know chainsaw delivers tremendous power and will impressively power through those thick logs. It comes with numerous other exciting features
- The chainsaw is fitted with a 9amps electric motor
- It has a 14-inch bar
- It comes with tool-less chain tension adjustment
- The chain is equipped with a wrap-around handle
- It weighs 8 pounds
- The chainsaw has a very powerful motor
- It has an automated oiling and sharpening systems
- It is extremely lightweight
- It has an ergonomic wrap-around handle for comfortable handling
- The tool-less tension adjustment is hassle-free.
- The chainsaw is corded. Your maneuverability remains limited.
The Greenworks 20222 is an excellent option for any of your wood cutting needs. Its features reveal a powerful, convenient and durable chainsaw. That is all you need to have an exceptional logging experience. You can expect no downtime if you have the Greenworks 20222 chainsaw in your hands.
The Work WG303.1 is the ultimate chainsaw when it comes to power. The chainsaw packs a 14.5 Amps motor under the hood. It is designed for tough and heavy-duty situations. If you are involved in professional logging, this chainsaw will do the magic for you. It packs, and you are bound to rejoice when you get one of these chainsaws.
- The chainsaw has an automated braking and anti-kickback system
- It comes with a 200ml oil reservoir
- It weighs 11 pounds
- It has an automatic tension adjustment and lubrication systems.
- The chain breaking and anti-kickback assure you optimal user safety
- The chain boasts of a very powerful motor
- It is lightweight
- The automated features make it very convenient.
- The chainsaw is corded. Your maneuverability is limited.
The Worx WG303.1 chainsaw is very powerful and comes with a good level of convenience. You will certainly have a good experience with it. Whether it’s your home or professional applications, it will live up to the task at hand. It has all that you need from a great chainsaw. It is designed to make it easy for you to operate and deliver good power. It should appear high on your list of options. You should see the reviews it attracts on Amazon. They are further proof of the prowess of the chainsaw. It is undoubtedly a top of the range chainsaw.
The Black Decker LCS-1240 is yet another battery powered chainsaw. Battery powered chainsaws are favorites to many because of the maneuverability that they offer. This chainsaw is powered by a 2Ah lithium-ion battery. The chainsaw is designed for light home applications. It is a moderate power chainsaw
- The chainsaw has a 12’’ bar
- It comes with tool-free tension adjustment
- It weighs 10.4 pounds
- It has an automated oiling system
- The chainsaw is very lightweight and cordless hence portable
- The automated oiling system is very convenient
- It comes with a wrap-around handle that is comfortable to hold
- Tension adjustment is hassle free
- The battery does not last very long
- It requires frequent re-charging
The Black Decker LCS-1240 is designed to conveniently handle those light home-based wood cutting tasks. You will not be disappointed as long as you don’t push it beyond its limits. The chainsaw is an excellent option if your requirements fit the description, and you are on a tight budget. If you need a chainsaw for trimming hedges and tree branches, this cordless chainsaw will certainly deliver great results. The chainsaw works just fine within its jurisdiction.
The Makita XCUOOZ is a battery-powered version of the Makita chainsaws. The chainsaw is powered by two 18v lithium ion batteries. It delivers impressive power levels for a battery-powered chainsaw. It is arguably the battery powered chainsaw with the best deliverables in this review. It has many other impressive features that ensure you have an exceptional experience with it.
- The chainsaw comes with a 12’’ bar
- It has a rubberized handle
- It weighs 10.1 pounds
- It features a tool-less tension adjustment
- The chainsaw has low noise levels
- It has a very powerful motor
- It is very lightweight and cordless hence portable.
- It has an ergonomic and rubberized grip for a comfortable and firm grip
- The chain has zero-emissions.
- The chainsaw comes in parts. You have to go through the assembly hassles.
- You have to buy the batteries and charger separately. That means an extra cost.
The Makita XCUOOZ is an amazing battery powered chainsaw. It is rare to find a battery powered chainsaw that is as powerful as this chainsaw. Optimal power and high convenience are what you will be looking for when you go shopping for a chainsaw. This chainsaw delivers exactly that. It is arguably the best chainsaw that we have in the review. The review on Amazon is a further indicator of the effectiveness of this chainsaw.
Up to this point, we have only featured electric chainsaws. Electric chainsaws have limited portability because they are corded. Battery powered chainsaws have to recharge now and then and may, therefore, interrupt your work schedule. Husqvarna 450 is a gas-powered chainsaw. It comes in to cover all those shortcomings of electric powered chainsaws. It is a very powerful chainsaw that is great for professional applications.
- The chain comes with an 18’’ bar
- It has a 3.2Hp engine
- It comes with an inertia activated braking system
- It is fitted with a choke control system
- It weighs 11.33 pounds
- The chainsaw is very lightweight hence portable
- It has a very powerful engine
- It has a smart and easy to use user control
- The chainsaw is fuel efficient
- It has little vibrations
- The chainsaw tens to overheat after running for a while
- It has very high noise levels.
- It has fume-emissions which degrade the environment
The Husqvarna 450 chainsaw is a great option for professional applications. If you work in places with no electricity, this is the chainsaw that you need. It has tremendous power and its very convenience. The performance of the chainsaw cannot be called to question, though it has some misgivings. The misgivings are common to all gas-powered chainsaws though. The chainsaw will certainly live up to the task, whether its light-duty or heavy-duty.
The Husqvarna 460 chainsaw is yet another gas-powered chainsaw. It is a more powerful one than its sibling above. It is powered by a 3.62Hp engine. The chainsaw will power through the toughest and thickest logs with fantastic ease. It is arguably the perfect chainsaw for professional applications. This is the chainsaw you go for if you do not want to comprise the power or convenience of a chainsaw.
- The chainsaw has a 20’’ bar
- It comes with a 60.33 cc engine capacity
- It has a 3-piece crankshaft
- It is fitted with a quick release air filter
- It has a side mounted chain tensioner
- It weighs 12.79 pounds
- It has an easily accessible tensioner
- The chainsaw is very powerful
- It is lightweight
- The chainsaw is easy to operate.
- It is fuel-efficient
- The chainsaw has very high noise levels
- It has fume-emissions which are harmful to the environment
The Husqvarna 460 is the ultimate chainsaw. It delivers optimal power and convenience. The shortcomings of the gas-powered chainsaw do not take a toll on its performance. This chainsaw will certainly live up to the tasks, be they light or tough. The convenience offered by the chainsaw is almost unrivalled. It should be one of your options if you are looking for an all-powerful chainsaw. This is arguably the best gas chainsaw 2020.
The Black Decker LCS1020 is yet another battery powered chainsaw. It is a small chainsaw designed for light home-based use. The chainsaw is powered by a lithium-ion battery. The battery has an impressive runtime and will allow you to complete all your home works. The chainsaw has some very impressive features.
- The chainsaw has a 10’’ bar
- It is fitted with an Oregon chainsaw
- It is powered by a 20V lithium-ion battery
- The chain has a low kickback
- The chainsaw weighs 7.2 pounds
- The chainsaw is very lightweight
- It has a relatively long runtime
- The Oregon chainsaw is very strong and durable
- The chain cordless hence very portable
- It has a tool-free tension adjustment
- The chainsaw cannot handle heavy-duty applications
- You have to keep recharging the chainsaw every now and then
The Black Decker LCS1020 is a moderate performance chainsaw. This is the chain you get for your occasional home-based wood cutting needs. The chainsaw attracts incredible reviews on Amazon. It impresses with its convenience and ease of use. The chainsaw will work great and last long as long as you don’t push it beyond limits. This is arguably the best chainsaw for homeowner.
We have yet another gas-powered chainsaw from the Husqvarna brand, the Husqvarna 240. Husqvarna has cemented their place as a top producer of gas-powered chainsaws. The Husqvarna240 chainsaw does not fall short of anything, as far as Husqvarna chainsaws are concerned. It is fitted with a 2Hp engine that delivers incredible power levels. It is a fantastic option for those tough and heavy-duty applications.
- The chainsaw comes with a 16’’ bar
- It weighs 10.3 pounds
- The chainsaw has a top speed of 9000 RPM
- It is fitted with a 38 cc 2-stroke engine
- The chainsaw is very powerful
- It is lightweight and cordless hence very portable
- It is fuel efficient
- The chain tensioner is side mounted to be easily accessible
- The chainsaw has emissions that pollute the environment
- It has very high noise levels.
The Husqvarna 240 live ups to the good name of Husqvarna chainsaws. It has power, and it’s convenient to use. The chainsaw has all the signature features of a great chainsaw and one that you would love to take on your logging task. The chainsaw will power through those tough logging tasks with fantastic ease. Gas-powered chainsaws are likely to remain with us for a long while because of the convenience they offer. A gas-powered chainsaw will remain the most reliable chainsaw for a long time. This chainsaw will most likely not disappoint you, given the impressive reviews it attracts on Amazon.
13) Remington RM1425 Limb N Trim 8 Amp 14-Inch Electric Lightweight and Corded Chainsaw with Handle Guard, Black
We close off with the lightest and possibly the cheapest chainsaw you can find. The Remington RM1425 chainsaw is designed for very light small limb trimming requirements. It comes in a very compact and lightweight design. It is an electric chainsaw that is powered by an 8 Amps motor. The chainsaw has some very impressive features that make it a great chainsaw within its jurisdiction. You will undoubtedly not let your hedges at home overgrow when you have this chainsaw in your hands. It’s a great option if you are on a compressed budget too.
- It has a 14’’ bar
- It has an external chain tension system
- It is equipped with a one-button push oiling system
- It weighs 6.25 pounds
- It is powered by an eight amps motor
- The chain is very lightweight hence easy to work with.
- The one-button oiling system is very convenient
- The chainsaw has very low kickback hence enhanced safety
- It has an ergonomic wraparound handle with a hand guard. The handle ensures a comfortable and firm grip, while the guard offers protection for your hand.
- The chainsaw is corded. Your maneuverability with the chainsaw is therefore limited.
- The chainsaw is very small and does not have much power. It cannot handle more than simple home-based cutting tasks.
The Remington RM1425 is an affordable light-duty chainsaw. It is for trimming hedges and cutting small tree branches. You don’t have to buy and bulky, expensive chainsaw, which will most likely come with a lot of other hassles if you don’t need it. If your requirements fit the description above, this chainsaw is what you need. It will probably save you a couple of dollars too. Make no mistake; it is durable and efficient within its limits.
Best Chainsaw 2020 – Buyer’s Guide
The reviews above should help you better understand what a good chainsaw entails. The chainsaws featured are all suitable for specific situations. As such, the best chainsaw for you depends on several factors. You need to explore several factors surrounding your requirements, to determine the suitability of a particular chainsaw. The factors include;
The power of a chainsaw determines what tasks it can handle. They are chainsaws with little power, and they are specifically designed for light home-based applications. They are powerful chainsaws designed for heavy-duty professional applications. For instance, if you are looking for a chainsaw to go logging, you will need an all-powerful chainsaw. On the other hand, it is not very smart to spend on an expensive powerful chainsaw, if all you need to do is trim hedges or cut tree branches.
Being able to work with ease and efficiently is very important. Your safety is of utmost importance though. As such, you need to ensure the chainsaw you get has all the necessary safety measures in place. The chainsaw needs to have an anti-kickback system to protect you from injuries. The more the safety measures the more suitable it is. It should also have relevant certifications from relevant bodies, to stamp its suitability. Safety starts with proper operation knowledge of the chainsaw you have. Ensure you fully understand how the chainsaw operates and you can effectively control it.
The price of the chainsaw is always the final determinant of whether you are going to get it. Take time to compare the different options within your budget and find out which delivers the most value to you. The chainsaws may have the same features but different prices depending on the brand. Go for the best chainsaw within your budget and one that that fits your requirements. Ensure you get the best chainsaw for the money you have.
The reviews and buying guide above should help you narrow down to your best-suited chainsaw. Looking for the best chainsaw should no longer be such a daunting task. The review is quite long. You may not be able to recall all the details in it. As such, below is a summary table of all the chainsaws featured in the review. The table below highlights the respective features of the chainsaws as well as their prices. You can quickly skim through the table and find your best-suited chainsaws.